Enter the Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize
The Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize 2019 is now closed. If you require assistance please contact us at email@example.com.
The winners of each category will be published by Wasafiri in print and online and receive a £1,000 cash prize. They will also be offered the Chapter and Verse or Free Reads mentoring scheme in partnership with The Literary Consultancy (dependent on eligibility). Winners will be announced on 9 November 2019.
Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize Terms and Conditions 2019
- The competition is open to any nationality and any age group.
- The competition is open to anyone who has not published a complete book in the category entered.
- The word limit is 3000 maximum (or a maximum of 5 poems).
- Work submitted must not have been previously published (this includes self-publishing and publishing on websites, personal or otherwise). Eligibility depends on the submission remaining unpublished at the time of shortlisting.
- Work must be typed, double-spaced, on A4 paper, single sided only, and submitted as a Word document or equivalent (no PDFs). The document should be saved with the title ‘Category of entry_Title of entry’, e.g. ‘Life Writing_Story of my Life’.
- Do not write your name or provide any other form of identification on your manuscript. All submissions will be considered without the judges knowing the identity of the entrant.
- Do not enter more than one poem on a single page.
- Work will only be accepted if accompanied by an official entry form and fee. If you require acknowledgement of receipt, please email firstname.lastname@example.org when you submit your entry.
- We regret that manuscripts cannot be altered after submission.
- All electronic submissions will receive an acknowledgement.
- Fee is per category: the entrant can submit a maximum of one submission per category – in the Poetry category, one submission can include five poems. However, not more than one poem by any poet will be shortlisted for the prize.
- Entries must be received at Wasafiri no later than 5pm BST on Friday 28 June 2019. We regret that we cannot accept entries received after this date.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence or discussion concerning the judges’ decision will be entered into.
- The copyright will remain with the winning authors. Acceptance of the prize will indicate the author’s agreement to their work being published in Wasafiri and inclusion in a possible anthology of the best work received.
- Shortlisted entries will be published on the Wasafiri website.
- Wasafiri reserves the right to edit the shortlisted entries.
- Failure to meet the conditions of entry will mean that a submission is automatically disqualified from the competition. Entry fee will not be refunded.
- No person may win in more than one category in a single year.
- The competition is not open to members of the Wasafiri Board or Wasafiri staff.
- Shortlisted authors will be notified by email and will be invited to the prize-giving event on 9 November 2019.
- A list of shortlisted authors will be published on the Wasafiri website in Autumn 2019.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- The entry fee is non-refundable.