Assistant Editor (Part-time/2.5 days a week) Salary: £25,000 pro-rata
Working with a world renowned literary journal, the Assistant Editor will join a new and dynamic editorial team in their London (UK) office. You will be a key member of staff, working towards a strong and resilient future for the magazine, and towards the successful implementation and delivery of its new five-year programme of activity.
The prime responsibility of this new position is to grow the digital profile of the magazine: in terms of content, engagement points and its reach on social media. The Assistant Editor should have proven editorial skills and professional experience in commissioning, writing and marketing. First-class digital knowledge and a track record in a broad range of editorial tasks are pre-requisite for this role. The role holder will also offer support and cover for the Deputy Editor.
Wasafiri is the UK’s leading magazine for international contemporary writing. Founded by Susheila Nasta (MBE), the first issue was launched in 1984. It is now renowned for publishing some of the world’s most distinguished writers, including: Chinua Achebe; Kamau Brathwaite; Anita and Kiran Desai; Sam Selvon; Nadine Gordimer; Abdulrazak Gurnah; Ngugi wa Thiong’o; Michael Ondaatje; Vikram Seth; Nayantara Sahgal; Gillian Slovo and Ben Okri amongst many others. And we actively seek out writers from diaspora backgrounds who often struggle to be heard in the mainstream.
Wasafiri is currently funded by Arts Council England, and is published by Routledge. It is housed at Queen Mary College, University of London, on the Mile End Road. Wasafiri is also a National Portfolio Organisation (NPO). This role has been created to further deliver the magazine’s digital strategy and the 2018-22 NPO programme. It is based in London and is open to those who have permission to work in the UK.
- Manages, commissions, edits and proofs content for www.wasafiri.org
- Updates website using WordPress
- Manages social media strategy to meet growth targets
- Responsible for digital budget and delivery, with team’s support
- Liaises with freelancers, publicists and writers, both nationally and internationally
- Responsible for creating and sending monthly newsletter through MailChimp
- Assists Reviews Editor to manage workflow – logging books received, updating the reviews page online, sending out review copies, liaising with publishers and writers
- Assists Deputy Editor with management of online submissions
The Ideal Candidate
- Passion for the written word and international literature and arts
- Previous editorial experience
- Previous professional experience of editing digital copy and editing content
- Excellent proofreading and copy editing skills
- Knowledge of InDesign, WordPress, mailchimp
- Knowledge of production processes from concept to publication
- Ability to manage multiple projects, on schedule and to budget
- Strong problem-solving and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Deadline oriented, with a demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Initiative to source new ideas and search out ground-breaking content
- Energetic and can-do attitude
- Thrives under pressure
- Works well as part of a team
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and Photoshop
- Online marketing, promotions and sales
Wasafiri is an equal opportunities employer.
Deadline for applications: 21 November 2017
Interviews will take place on: 8 December 2017