An Island Full of Voices Is Almost Here
By Malachi McIntosh on October 24, 2019 in
On the 9 November, Wasafiri will bring together readers, writers and past contributors from all over the world for a day of workshops, talks and debates on the challenges and potentials of writing within, and through, our current fraught times.
- Workshops with Maggie Gee (fiction), Anthony Joseph (life-writing), and Nick Makoha (poetry)
- Caryl Phillips and Maya Jaggi on the power and politics of contemporary literature
- Bernardine Evaristo on authorial activism and literary collectives with Rachel Long, Nikesh Shukla and Susheila Nasta
- A special reading by Ben Okri
- Bidisha, Fred D’Aguiar, Imtiaz Dharker, and Romesh Gunesekera on writing, Britain, and the world
- The announcement of the winners of the 10th anniversary Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize
- The launch of Brave New Words: The Power of Writing Now
- A few surprises…
The day will unite Wasafiri’s contributors past and present while looking ahead to possible artistic futures.
Book tickets, and find out more, through the British Library.
We hope to see you there to celebrate thirty-five years.