Wasafiri Privacy Notice
Who we are:
In this privacy notice whenever you see the terms ‘We’, ‘Us’ or ‘Our’ it refers to Wasafiri.
Wasafiri is UK Registered Charity (charity number: 1059778) which publishes the quarterly Wasafiri magazine. Wasafiri’s registered address is c/o School of English and Drama, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS.
What information do we collect about you?
We only collect information about you that we need:
- to provide the service you have requested, this may include: subscriptions, submissions, event bookings, online purchases, e-newsletter sign-up, donations, prize entry
- to contact you regarding a service you provide to us e.g., event delivery, educational services, technical assistance
The personal information we collect may include:
- Your name including title
- Institutional affiliation
- Postal address, email address and phone number
- Gift Aid information
- Direct Debit / bank details
- A record of any correspondence you send us
- Details of any transactions you carry out via our website
- Your contact preferences
- IP addresses and web browsers (and versions) used
- Information on how people use our website, using cookies and page tagging, to help us improve the website and our services
- Any other personal information provided to us.
When we ask for your personal information we will explain why we need it and direct you to this notice.
How will we use the information we collect?
We will only use your information for the purpose you provided it for or have given us prior consent for. This may include:
- To fulfil your subscription contract
- To process your submission or prize entry
- To contact you about future opportunities with the magazine
- To process your booking
- To process your online purchase
- To process your donation
- To send you information about Wasafiri, its publications, and events
- To send you surveys about our performance
- To send you information about our fundraising efforts
- To send you other information you may be interested in.
How we share your information:
We do not share your personal information with any third party or external organisations for any purpose other than those detailed below, unless we are legally required to do so. Where we do share information we only share what is absolutely necessary to fulfil that contract.
We work with carefully selected service providers who carry out some functions on our behalf. These service providers will act on our instructions and adhere to the EU GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). These include:
- Our publisher Informa UK Ltd trading as Taylor & Francis Group to fulfil distribution of the magazine to subscribers
- A bulk email distributor, Mailchimp, for our e-newsletter and some membership emails
- Storage and IT equipment provided by Queen Mary University of London
- We use PayPal to process online payments.
We ensure that any transfer of data is done securely, in accordance with best practice and in accordance with GDPR.
We may occasionally share anonymised data with our partners to fulfil contracts and for benchmarking, eg Arts Council England. If we do share anonymised data it would not be possible to identify any individual person from the data we share.
We will never sell or pass your personal data to a third party for marketing purposes. We will only use your data ourselves for marketing if you have given us permission and you can unsubscribe at any time.
How we store your data and keep it secure:
We take all reasonable steps to ensure your data is kept secure. We hold personal data in electronic and paper form.
We will keep your information only for as long as we need it to provide you with the goods, services or information you have requested, to administer your contract with us, or are required to for legal / financial reasons.
Electronic information is stored on an encrypted server, which is double password protected. Paper information is stored securely, with access limited to authorised personnel only.
Emails are run from UK-based data centre, using Microsoft Office 365. These connections are secured using SSL. No third party can access any data on the server or email server without our permission. All areas that contain any data are password protected.
All staff are contractually required to keep personal data safe and are given training in data protection.
When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. This sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, computer or mobile phone. Like most websites these include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
Cookies give us insight into how people use our website to help us keep improving it. Cookies do lots of different things, such as helping us to:
- avoid asking you to register or complete details twice
- estimate the number of visitors to our site, including the source and patterns relating to this traffic
- understand how visitors use the site, and how we can improve this experience
You are able to set your devices to reject cookies, including those that analyse site usage. You can delete your cookies through your device settings at any time.
You have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- to withdraw consent where that is the legal basis of our processing
If you have given your consent for the processing of your personal data and you wish to withdraw it, please contact us using the contact details set out below. Please note that where our processing of your personal data relies on your consent and where you then withdraw this, we may not be able to provide all or some aspects of our services to you and/or it may affect the provision of those services. Note also that withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal data relying on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- to access your personal data that we process
You have the right to a copy of data held by Wasafiri about you. This is called a subject access request. Please contact us for more information.
- to rectify inaccuracies in personal data that we hold about you
For instance, you can ask us to rectify inaccurate or incomplete data or perhaps add a supplementary statement to your record.
- to erasure (‘be forgotten’) i.e. for your details to be removed from systems that we use to process your personal data
You have a limited right to request that Wasafiri deletes data it holds about you; this is generally only applicable where you have initially given us your consent to process your personal data and there will often be a requirement for us to continue to hold some data.
- to restrict the processing of your data in certain ways
In certain circumstances, you have the right to request that Wasafiri restricts its use of your personal data, where we still store some but no longer process it further, and to object to Wasafiri’s processing of your personal data based only on grounds relating to your particular situation.
- to obtain a copy of your data in a commonly used electronic form
In some cases, you have a right to data portability where you can request that Wasafiri provides you with a copy of your personal data to allow your own use, for example to transfer to another provider.
- to object to certain processing of your personal data by us
In certain circumstances, you can object to processing, including the sending and receipt of direct marketing. If you’ve already agreed to us using your personal data for direct marketing purposes, you can change your mind by contacting us directly, altering your preferences or by selecting the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any marketing emails we send you.
- to lodge a complaint
If you wish to complain about any aspect of Wasafiri’s handling of your data, you have the right to raise a concern with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Please see ico.org.uk for details. You also have a right to complain through the courts.
Wasafiri will not ordinarily charge you in respect of any requests we receive to exercise any of your rights detailed above. However, if you make excessive, repetitive or manifestly unfounded requests, we may charge you an administration fee in order to process such requests or refuse to act on such requests. Where we are required to provide a copy of the personal data undergoing processing this will be free of charge; however, any further copies requested may be subject to reasonable fees based on administrative costs.
Changes to our Privacy Notice:
We regularly review this Privacy Notice. We reserve the right to make changes to this notice in the future. Any changes will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by email. We therefore encourage you to review this page from time to time to stay informed of how we are processing your personal data. The latest version will be available on our website www.wasafiri.org/privacy-policy. This notice was last updated 9th September 2020.
How to contact us:
If you need further information on the above or wish to exercise a right, please contact Elizabeth Robertson (Administration and Programmes Manager):
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By post: Wasafiri, c/o School of English and Drama, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS
By phone: 020 7882 2686